Beckenham attracts young professionals, City workers and families who are looking for somewhere where they can get more for their money. With good schools, great transport links and leafy suburban surroundings, Beckenham ticks the boxes for many house hunters.
Top five Beckenham features
- Transport links. You are never far from a station here as there are no fewer than five local stations connecting to the City and Croydon
- Beckenham Green. This is a great local spot which plays host to a Farmers’ market as well as live performances and concerts
- Architecture. From charming terraced cottages to grand, impressive six bedroom houses, Beckenham offers it all and on the plus side, house prices here are significantly cheaper than in neighbouring Dulwich
- The Perfect Mix. Few suburbs can evoke the country feeling and sense of space like Beckenham and once people ‘discover’ life here, they tend to stay
- Good night life and restaurants
The best of Beckenham
- Parking in the town centre is easy which attracts shoppers
- Along Beckenham High Street there is a mix of high street chains, including M&S, as well as independent shops such as an independent bookshop Beckenham Books, Suola shoe shop, delis and cafés and kitchenware shop The Kitchen Range
- The Beckenham Theatre Centre is a private members theatre with performances, readings and events throughout the year
- Leisure centre – recently refurbished – gym, swimming pool and fitness classes
- Odeon Cinema – a listed building with six screens
- Beckenham is on the South East London Green Chain – a walking route that threads its way through 16.5 miles connecting open spaces
- Bromley and Croydon shopping centres within easy reach
- Beckenham Place Park has one of England’s largest and busiest public golf courses
- Beckenham Place Park contains one of the few remaining areas of ancient woodland in inner London. Both the True Service tree and the Wild Service tree can be found here, along with oak, sweet chestnut, beech, hornbeam and rowan.
- Kelsey Park has some of the most beautiful landscaped park areas in the borough. Famous for its woodland and lake with its Canada geese and other birdlife. It has a popular enclosed children’s playground, tennis courts and a Crazy Golf course.
- Beckenham Green – at the top end of the High Street, this is a small park which is home to town events, including the St George’s Arts Festival
For nursery, Beckenham has a popular Montessori pre-school. Popular primary schools include Claire House, Balgowan, Churchfields, Bromley Road Primary, Ravensbourne, Highfields, St Mary’s and Marianne Vine. For secondary education, there is the new Harris Academy (opened September 2012). The ‘holy grail’ of are the Langley Park Schools – one for girls and one for boys. About 60 per cent of people buying a new property cite these schools as their reason to move here. For private education, there is St Christopher’s and Bishop Chalenor.
Beckenham benefits from five local train stations – Beckenham Junction, Beckenham Hill, New Beckenham, Clock House and Ravensbourne – where services run to London Victoria and Blackfriars. Trains from Beckenham Junction to Victoria take 20 minutes and to London Bridge take just over half an hour. A tram link runs from Beckenham Junction station to East and West Croydon and Wimbledon, as well as Mitcham Junction and Elmers End interchange railway stations. By road, Beckenham is on the A222, A2015, and A234. Local bus routes include the 54 (to Woolwich), the 194 (to West Croydon), the 227 (to Bromley) and the 358 (to Crystal Palace). The N3 night bus runs from Oxford Circus.
You get value for money and with all the regeneration happening around, the potential for growth is huge. Here’s a snapshot of average sale and rental prices:
|Beckenham||Average Rent||Average Sale|
|1 Bed||£970.00||£220 000|
|2 Bed||£1300.00||£355 000|
|3 Bed||£1700.00||£500 000|
|4 Bed||£2700.00||£700 000|
Interested and need someone to talk to? Please feel free to give us a call.
PROPERTYmajor provides a friendly, unique residential lettings & property management for landlords looking to invest in South East London and Kent. If you would like to request some of our guides or fancy a no obligation chat, please call us on 01322 518 020 or visit our website www.propertymajor.com